Cleanse & Rejuvenate with Panchakarma
Panchakarma is the traditional Ayurvedic cleansing and rejuvenation program for the body, mind and spirit.
** Please note: all our Panchakarma Retreats are taking place at our sister centers in Onalaska WA ~ Shady Grove Retreat Center and Harmony Ayurveda in Seattle, WA. Your Panchakarma therapists are trained by me and are highly skilled and caring.
The Panchakarma program includes pre-purification methods to nourish and prepare the body to let go of accumulated toxins, followed by the purification methods themselves.
Panchakarma treatments may include full-body Abhyanga massage with warm, herbal infused oils, herbal steam baths, topical oil & ghee treatments, and a number of other ancient healing therapies which, when taken in a specific sequence, gently and effectively purify the body.
According to Ayurveda, health is a perfect state of balance among the body’s three fundamental energies, or doshas (vata, pitta, and kapha), and an equally vital balance among the body, mind and soul.
Changes in age, seasonal changes, wrong diet, habits, lifestyle, repressed emotions and stress factors can all act to upset our natural balance, weakening our agni (gastric fire) and leading to accumulation of toxins. These toxins and deep-seated emotions build up in the tissues of the body and can lead to dis-ease if not eliminated. Specifically, fat-soluble toxins such as plastic residue, xeno-hormones, pesticides and heavy metals can be effectively eliminated through this process. Panchakarma is a completely natural form of healing, in which the body is encouraged to simultaneously let go of its excesses and retrieve its essences.
Through purification of the subtle channels in the body, the beautiful wisdom and innate intelligence, which is inherent in every cell of our being is allowed to function. By removing blocks to this biological intelligence, the entire physiology is integrated, immunity is strengthened, and the damaging effects of aging are reversed.
The aims and objectives of this science are to maintain the health of a healthy person and to heal the dis-ease of an unhealthy person. This is obtained by restoring the balance of the natural processes in the body. The ancient texts praise Panchakarma as a seasonal rejuvenation treatment for ensuring balance year in and year out.
Benefits of Panchakarma
- Cleanses the body of accumulated toxins.
- Increases energy, vitality and mental clarity.
- Improvement in appetite and digestive patterns.
- Deeply relaxing.
- Reverses the negative effects of stress on the tissues and cells of the body.
- Restores the individual’s basic constitutional balance.
- Rejuvenation of body, mind and spirit.
- A supporting and caring environment that provides space for true contemplation and self-exploration.
Your Panchakarma begins with approximately 5 days of pre-PK preparations that involve taking ghee internally, starting to shift the diet, utilizing digestive spices and herbs and enjoying self-massage. Purvakarma is designed for each individual.
Daily Panchakarma Treatments
You may receive 5+ days of Panchakarma with us. Each day of Panchakarma will be facilitated by 1 or 2 Ayurvedic therapists who will be giving you Ayurvedic treatments based on your constitution and daily process. The purpose of these treatments is to profoundly relax the body and mind, improve the flow of energy by opening the channels of circulation, and to prepare the body to eliminate excess toxins (ama) on the physical, emotional, and spiritual levels.
- A typical Panchakarma session begins an Ayurvedic consultation to assess your pulses and understand what your needs are that day.
- You will be guided through personalized yoga, pranayama and meditation practices before or after your daily treatments.
- Your first treatment will likely be an abhyanga, which is an Ayurvedic warm oil massage with 1 or 2 therapists. Marma Chikitsa is incorporated into your daily abhyanga. Pressure is applied to the vital healing points affecting the organs and subtle channels of the body.
- You will receive “svedana” a therapeutic sweat, which is done in a steam tent, body wrap or bath with essential oils and herbal decoctions. This dilates the channels of circulation, further loosening and removing impurities through the skin and gastrointestinal tract.
- An herbal or sea salt scrub may then be worked into the entire body to promote circulation, stimulate the lymphatic system and improve immunity.
- Another traditional treatment is Netra Basti. A dough ring is applied around the eyes, in which warm ghee is poured to fully saturate the eye, which nourishes the optic nerves. This treatment relaxes and soothes the entire nervous system, addresses eye healing and brings clarity of mind.
- You will receive Shirodhara (often thought of as the Queen of all the Ayurvedic treatments), in which a stream of warm herbalized oil is continuously poured on the forehead to profoundly calm the mind and expand consciousness. Shirodhara activates the pituitary gland and can balance the hormonal system. In addition, this treatment has the added effect of awakening the third eye, stimulating cognitive memories and inducing blissful states.
- Clients may also receive other traditional Ayurvedic treatments to alleviate back pain and other concerns.
- Chakra Balancing using color and sound therapy may be used to fully integrate and charge the energetic system of the body which accelerates the healing process and allows for deep emotional healing and healing of associated physical blocks.
- The 5 ‘karmas’ or cleansing actions are: vamana (therapeutic vomiting, rarely indicated), virechana (therapeutic purgation through the bowels, often indicated), basti (herbal & oil enemas, often indicated), nasya (administration of herbal oils via the nostrils, often indicated) and rakta-moksha (blood-letting, done in this setting with blood purifying herbs). These 5 ‘karmas’ will be facilitated in a careful and timely manner based upon your individual needs. We’ll share more about this when we consult.
A note about your meals
You will be eating a simple mono-diet consisting of variations of: basmati rice, quinoa, mung dal, red dal, seasonal & doshic veggies, herbs & spices and herbal teas. We ask you to avoid consuming meat, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, cruciferous or nightshade veggies, dairy (except ghee), wheat, bread, pastas, salads and most fruits. We find that our clients are often very satisfied with this diet. The bodies’ energy can then go toward cleansing and healing rather than complex digestive processes.
Paschatkarma ~ Rasayana
Once your PK is complete, we set you up with your at-home, rejuvenation-focused: dietary, herbal and lifestyle plan.
Panchakarma Program, per day: $515.00
Each program is tailored for the client’s current state and constitution. The basic 5+ day program consists of a daily check-in consultation and 2 1/2 – 3 hours of treatments. Our clients typically receive treatments from 9:00am – 12/12:30pm each day. All herbal teas, meals and PK herbs are included during the week of Panchakarma. Onsite accommodations are also included.
Initial Consultation, plus post Pk follow-up: $225.00
Please schedule your Panchakarma appointment several months in advance to secure the dates you desire.
A 50% non-refundable deposit is required at the time of scheduling to hold your dates.
We are honored to serve you on your path of healing and transformation!Click here to Schedule
*** Panchakarma is currently offered at our sister center in Onalaska Washington. Inquire to learn more!